Tuesday 29 March 2011

The Philosophy Of Verve

The first six pairs of Verve shorts I owned were actually men’s and probably a size or two bigger than they needed to be. I was an 11-year-old tomboy, climbing in a gym where female climbing partners where considered an endangered species. I idolized the guys I climbed with, so, I wore what they wore.
A few years later, after some persuasion, I finally moved on to the women’s clothing and tried a pair of Saphos. I liked them. A lot. They tastefully fall just below the knee, safely covering up all the valuables. They’re loose, but drape perfectly over the butt and made me feel comfortable but not frumpy.





Since then, I’ve grown up and my shorts have gotten smaller. Although I now have no insecurities about wearing skimpy Magico shorts and Lorelli bras, I still have Verve clothes from 10 years ago that I like to wear now and then, simply because they are still comfortable. Even though my taste in clothing has changed quite a bit, Verve clothes continue to look and fit just right on me; being in climbing clothes is where I feel most like myself. I have a confidence and a comfort when I’m wearing them that I just can’t quite find when I’m wearing street clothes. In Verve, I don’t have to worry about whether my pants are falling down, if my bra is showing, or if my skirt is twisted; I feel natural, ready to sprawl out, or go climbing, or running, or dancing. My poor Verve clothes get stuffed into yoga bags, climbing bags, beach bags and suitcases. They go up mountains, down rivers, across oceans and August through May, they even attend school. My poor Verve clothes really go through it all. But as I grow up, as my hobbies vary, as I explore the world and figure out who I really want to be, I may change a lot, but favorite Verve pieces will always be in tow for the journey.